Pages

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Learning the Language/Culture

I tell ya, I don't understand why ppl will live in a country for several years and not learn the native language.  I understand the how, especially if you live in a community within the country that speaks your language, but I find it disrespectful to live in a place for so long and not learn their language/culture.  I dunno...

I've been in Korea for 4 months now, and I've been doing my best to learn Korean.  I'm at the point where I can read and write it pretty well but of couse the speaking and comprehension parts slower to get right.  Part of the reason I came out here was to learn and experience Korean culture, which includes their language so for me it just seems like the right thing to do.

And it's helped...a lot!!!  For example:

I left a friend's place tonight.  She lives 45min away from me by train.  Similar to DC, the trains stop running at a certain time.  Well, I was able to get on the last train leaving the station nearest my friend but wasn't able to get on my transfer train to take me to my "home stop".  What to do?  Well, most people would've taken a cab home.  Call me cheap but I didn't wanna spend $4 on a cab when I could spend $1.20 on train or bus, so using the little Korean I've learned, I navigated the bus system and 2 buses later, arrived at home.

Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against cabs, I've used them quite a bit.  But I don't wanna depend on a cab to get me places because I don't know how to get around.  I wanna add the cabs to my transportation arsenal, not have it be there by default and because I don't know enough about the language to get around on my own.

Anyways, it's 1:25am here in SoKo...getting down off my high horse and heading to bed...

안녕히계세요 = an-nyeong-hi gye-se-yo (good night)


Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment